We never want to see another timesheet again. Actually that's not quite true, after a tonne of research we learned that time-sheets are hated by most people and traditional start / stop / stopwatch timers are frequently misused. Often, they're inaccurate and are demoralising for the person using them.
We looked into how we could turn this negative experience into a positive one and yet still keep track of hours spent on projects through the day. If you setup your day at the beginning as a series of To Do tasks each with a time allocated to it, you turn out to be more productive, you stay on track and its incredibly satisfying to complete your pile of To Dos through the day. So why not combine the traditional timesheet with a smart To Do list? That's exactly what we did...
When you're working on an Item, you’ll allocate the time it took you to do it. Once you've finished work on it for the day, drag the item to Done and that time will automatically get logged against the job it’s associated with. It turns out that this is a far more accurate way to record your day and puts everyone's focus on productivity rather than clock watching.
Check out the way forward with our To Do list here.
Planning in the To Do screen
There are several ways to plan your time. You can use the Plan My Week button, drag tasks that you have been assigned onto your week, create your own To Dos directly onto the week (including personal To Dos - ohh la la) or get really nifty and use Zapier to create To Dos from your calendar, email, Slack messages and more. You can also use our timer to track your time.
When Done is Done
Once your week is planned out all you need to do to track time is adjust the time spent and drag the To Do to Done.
Streamtime Expert Tip
If you've finished work on a task, just click Complete in the Scheduled sidebar.
The why behind this new way of thinking
If you'd like to know more about why we ditched the timer and traditional timesheets for a To Do screen, check-out the following blog series:
- Productivity & Product 1: Everybody's To Do-ing It - why To Do lists are so popular
- Productivity & Product 2: Any Direction (as long as it's forward) - exploring how important a sense of productivity is to the human condition.
- Productivity and Product 3: How Your Crew Do - how to make your team productive.
- Productivity and Product 4: You Do (More) You - how you can boost your own productivity.
- Productivity and Product 5: Do what you have to-do - how Streamtime has made time tracking less work, and offers you something for your effort.
If you would still like to know how to track your tasks with our timer - click here.